Role Title: Surveillance Product Owner
New or Existing Role-New
- The Surveillance Product Owner will be part of the FCC Surveillance Product Management team. This team has responsibility for delivery of all Surveillance Transformation and Change across HSBC.
- The Product Management team ensures that essential systems and data are available to enable Surveillance to conduct effective and efficient investigations and analytics. The team is proactive and future-looking, shaping financial crime technology and promoting its adoption across Surveillance. We are looking for candidates with a Data & Analytics background, ideally with experience in the banking or consulting industry who have led similar data projects in the past.
- This Product Owner role is required to:
- Support the delivery of the FRB and DOJ Programme at HSBC, alongside numerous other key projects such as the demise of the Global Actimize market abuse detection tool and the remaining Unauthorised Trading Surveillance Audit Enhancements.
- Maintain and enhance the roadmap and delivery of the data processing platform (SDF), which sits at the heart of all of the Surveillance trade and UT surveillance products.
- Manage risks and issues to ensure we maintain a performant service to avoid system outages and reduce the likelihood of delays or data corruption.
- Liaise and maintain relationships with all relevant stakeholders; the number of consumers and projects that the SDF supports has increased over time, as has the number of deliveries (with a 700% increase in the number of releases)
- Manage the adoption and pivot towards strategic data repositories such as Golden Eye, Prism, etc. in order to align Surveillance with MSS target architecture and ensure our systems always have the most complete and appropriate source of data.
- Own and prioritise the 'Data Sourcing, Strategy and Processing' book of work, which will in turn enable the delivery across all of Surveillance in the upcoming years.
- For these deliverables, the Product Owner will be responsible for partnering with front office colleagues, surveillance SMEs and technology, documenting problem statements, managing the business delivery, oversee the technical delivery, whilst working with other team members to facilitate the changes through the full project or change management lifecycle. This role requires very strong stakeholder management and communication skills. Business analysis and organisational skills. The candidate will need to evidence excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
Impact on the Business
- Plan for Change: Building consensus among consumer teams and and stakeholders on specific changes designed to better meet their needs.
- Manage Change: Act as a conduit for change requests, retaining oversight of the full project lifecycle, from conception to Implementation.
- Reinforce Change: Oversee transition from business process to another and importantly incorporate post-delivery assessment and review activities. Build on incremental change.
- Positive stakeholder engagement
- Lead a pragmatic prioritisation process.
- Support all project phases.
- Monitor any issues, manage detailed resolution and ensure appropriate communication.
- Successful expansion of surveillance coverage.
- Facilitate and capture business requirements and document these by producing a Business Requirement Document.
- Work closely with key stakeholders to analyse problem(s) to be addressed and ensure clear and complete understanding of requirements.
- Ensure that requirements documentation provides an accurate, comprehensive account of the business problem to be addressed, ensure buy-in/sign-off from stakeholders.
- Ensure the requirements documentation and proposed solution is clearly understood by the technology team(s).
- Analyse and document the existing business process; prepare future business process recommendations and new system functionality.
- Ensure signoff of requirements by relevant stakeholders and sponsors in accordance with project timeframes.
- Quality documentation with minimal rework and positive feedback.
- Positive engagement with the Global Markets Front Office around delivery of the requirements.
- Positive engagement with risk and compliance teams currently performing surveillance.
- Positive engagement with the various technology teams across the functions.
Customers / Stakeholders
- Business Management - COO and Control Officers
- Technology – Surveillance and MSS, particularly liaising with leadership for FODS & BODS strategy
- Chief Data Office
- External advisory and vendor technology firms
- Identify and engage key stakeholders across businesses and functions.
- Establish relationships and communicate.
- Evidence of networks developed and achievement / feedback.
- Effective communication across all levels of seniority.
Leadership & Teamwork
- Partner with Business, Surveillance and technology teams to clarify problems/opportunities, scope and expected outcomes.
- Understand business risks and requirements.
- Validate business requirements against published strategies, target operating models and architectures.
- Define the nature of and motivation behind requested requirements, understand the specific impacts on systems and processes.
- Collaborate closely with technology in order to effect desired changes and improve the likelihood of success.
- Understand the impact of other strategic initiatives and engage with appropriate teams to identify interdependencies.
- Feedback on effectiveness from team members
- Feedback from stakeholders on communication effectiveness
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Understanding the business issues and challenges
- Understand the measures of success for both the project and the key stakeholders
- Ensure appropriate prioritisation is achieved
- Take ownership of delivery and ensure impact of new initiatives is understood.
- Take direct responsibility for the coordination of business change tasks.
- Act as the gatekeeper of surveillance change requests into technology.
- Support and enforce a consistent prioritisation process
- Ensure that the requirements are clearly understood by the technology team(s).
- Contribute to the definition of solution design options and support solutions that address the defined business case
- Surveillance projects currently have significant business and technology focus in HSBC, as well as across the market.
- The Surveillance programme is a key initiative for MSS, with Group Board level visibility. There is an extremely fast rate of change and high delivery expectation.
- These are global, Front-to-back, Regulatory, cross asset class projects with many dependencies and a matrix of stakeholders.
- Ability to implement and leverage evolving, cutting edge technology that is new in the industry.
- We are required to respond to many demanding regulator-driven requirements (across various jurisdictions), whilst trying to transform how we perform surveillance and respond to pressure from internal control and audit groups. There is a tension between responding to these three drivers which makes prioritisation significantly and has created an environment where demand significantly exceeds supply.
- Regulators and HSBC senior management have an increasing expectation that we have best in class systems and processes in place to identify misconduct of our staff and our counterparties.
- The Group Regulatory Surveillance function was recently formed to integrate existing trade, e-communications, voice and inappropriate (rogue) trading.
- Within the Surveillance function, the Product Management and Transformation team was created in 2016 to be the custodians of the department strategy and responsible for delivering all change (both incremental and transformational), across the three pillars of people, process and technology, across all business lines.
- The jobholder will also continually reassess the operational risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
- This will be achieved by ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring.
- Also by addressing any areas of concern in conjunction with line management and/or the appropriate department
Observation of Internal Controls
- The jobholder will also adhere to and be able to demonstrate adherence to internal controls. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators.
- The jobholder will implement the Group compliance policy by containing compliance risk in liaison with Global Head of Compliance, Global Compliance Officer, Area Compliance Officer, or Local Compliance Officer. The term ‘compliance’ embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules, and codes with which the business has to comply.
- This will be achieved by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures and by liaising with Compliance department about new business initiatives at the earliest opportunity. Also and when applicable, by ensuring adequate resources are in place and training is provided, fostering a compliance culture and optimising relations with regulators.
Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications
- Experience of working on data integration and regulatory projects.
- Experience of working on Cloud and / or Big Data projects,.
- Experience of working on business change and transformation projects.
- Experience of working in Global Markets and experience liaising with Front Office staff.
- Experience of working with senior leadership in IT and CDO.
- Experience working on large/strategic projects , preferably in a mix of business and technical capacities.
- Strong problem solving skills with the ability to resolve simple and complex issues quickly and accurately.
- Disciplined approach to requirements elicitation through signoff, testing and implementation.
- Strong time management skills with the ability to adjust priorities as necessary to meet the established deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal and strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Able to work as part of a team, and independently, under minimal supervision
- Practical experience in functional analysis and design, utilising different methodologies.
- Diversified experience across multiple working environments i.e. different functions and business lines.
- Working autonomously in pressurised environments, prioritising work in a multi-client environment where demand exceeds supply.
- Understanding of financial markets, current and upcoming regulatory requirements around Conduct, Surveillance and Front Office Supervision.
As a business operating in markets all around the world, we believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why HSBC is committed to being an inclusive employer and encourages applications from all suitably qualified applicants irrespective of ethnicity, religion, age, physical or mental disability/long term health condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by local law in the jurisdictions in which we operate. Within the work place you will have access to various employee resource groups which aim to promote and achieve a healthy work / life balance and support our diversity ambitions. HSBC has in place processes in order to avoid nepotism, which means to avoid creating circumstances in which the appearance or possibility of conflicts of interest may exist within the hiring process.
We want everyone to be able to fulfil their potential which is why we provide a range of flexible working arrangements and family friendly policies.
: Europe-United Kingdom-Midlothian-Edinburgh
: 29-Sep-2021, 00:37:07
: 06-Dec-2021, 04:29:00