At AES, we raise the quality of life around the world by changing the way energy works. Everyone makes an impact every day in our small, global teams. Apply here to start an extraordinary career today.
AES Clean Energy (AES CE) is seeking a Director of Estimating to lead efforts on estimating and support other development activities such, project risk evaluation & mitigation, layout & energy optimization, PPA negotiation support, and other engineering preconstruction elements for Wind, Solar, Battery Energy Storage and Hydrogen (paired & unpaired, including interconnection work) projects in the US market. This is a key role in to enable our growth and to maintain and enhance AES’s industry leading position and reputation.
The position is responsible for determining the strategic direction of the team in concert with other stakeholders, developing processes, tools, techniques to optimize and continuously improve the accuracy, timing and value created in the delivery of services to the AES CE org. The Director is also responsible to establish staffing needs, roles and responsibilities and coordination of processes in manner that is coordinated with and supports other key stakeholder groups (i.e. Development, Project Finance, Engineering, Procurement, Project/Construction Management, O&M, et.al.). Additional key responsibilities include implementing cost estimating database with forward cost curves, evaluation of final estimate to actual costs and intelligent AI/ML enabled inputs to allow higher quality estimates to be driven over time.
The Director provides leadership of the estimating group and in tight collaboration with Engineering and Pre-Construction; and will be able to share his or her passion for and dedication to getting the job done. This is a highly visible role which requires a person with an integrative personality to ensure collaboration takes place at the highest level.
- Attract, retain & develop world-class talent
- Lead all estimating efforts and actively participate in all preconstruction efforts including, planning, estimating, constructability reviews, value engineering, bidding, risk evaluation/mitigation
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive project database, with a proper WBS structure, that ensures effective analysis, management and coordination of project estimates, unit rate databases, project scope of works, project schedules, project execution plans, actual costs, and project lessons learned.
- Work with the PM and CM teams in development of project execution plan, including the contracting strategy, bidder list, project schedule, logistics planning, etc.
- Analyze and evaluate proposals from general contractors, subcontractors and suppliers. This includes the analysis and evaluation scope defining proposals from vendors and/or subcontractors and improve/calibrate estimating tools based on market feedback.
- Track scope changes from project engineering bid phases (10-30%) to issue for construction phases (90%+) to provide accurate estimate forecasting prior to project mobilization
- Support the evaluation of change orders during construction, as needed
- Develop and maintain long-lasting relationships and partnering strategies with consulting engineering firms, suppliers, and construction contractors to create a win-win culture for consultants, vendors and contractors who support AES CE’s efforts.
- Cultivate a high-performing, agile, one-team culture that is on a continuous improvement mission
- Act as a thought leader to develop new and innovative approaches to solving problems
- Maintain open culture based on high levels of engagement, diversity in experiences & opinions, high trust, lack of bureaucracy, and highly collaborative mindset
- Provide a process driven, but agile overall day-to-day work environment
- Drives strategy and supports the organization in achieving strategic goals by leading a cross-functional team of engineers and estimators to deliver high quality results with intelligent risk taking and collaboration with other stakeholder groups to find incremental value through energy enhancement and cost reduction
- Share & develop best practices and continuous improvement strategies with other AES global businesses to enable the global platform
- Partner with the AES Digital team to take full advantage of AES global digital capabilities, including the use of AI/ML strategies to allow the work to be performed in a manner that naturally improves and creates increasing value over time
- Implements transformational strategies to respond to internal and external drivers; challenges existing practices and constantly strives to continuously improve. Partners with stakeholders to identify innovative ways of achieving strategic KPIs and goals
- Develops systems and executes strategies to implement a continuous improvement program and culture that delivers substantive productivity and/or profitability gains year over year
- Acts as a senior advisor to provide value-added collaboration with the operational and clinical executive leaders to ensure prioritization of initiatives and identified solutions are in alignment with the overall objective and strategy of the organization
- Oversees members of the continuous improvement team to provide operational guidance, resourcing, and program/project management expertise to support consulting engagements, operational improvements, and processes identified as strategic priorities of the organization
- Leads advanced process improvement activities through engagement of teams, subject matter experts, stakeholders, and benchmarking
- Utilizes lean principles and systems thinking to identify complex interrelated processes that contribute to the success and failures of an organization
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education, Experience and Essential Skills
AES is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to building strength and delivering long-term sustainability through diversity and inclusion. Respecting all backgrounds, differences and perspectives enables us to improve the lives of our people, customers, suppliers, contractors, and the communities in which we live and work. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and/or expression, race, national origin, ethnicity, age, religion, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law. E-Verify Notice: AES will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.
- Bachelor´s degree in Engineering or related field
- minimum of ten year experience working in the engineering and construction industry
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel
- Proficient in the use of on-screen take-off software
- Proficient in the use of electronic estimating software
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and lead estimating teams to success
- Excellent background in building system knowledge to provide or manage conceptual & detailed estimating, including the development of highly optimized reference plants for different markets and technologies
- Strong understanding of construction means & methods, construction scheduling, construction management, and construction risk analysis
- Experience supporting and managing the construction of large capital projects in the field
- Experience with integrated project management systems, including LEAN Construction and Supply Chain Management, Building Information Modeling (BIM) and new and evolving construction technologies
- Ability to understand and interpret technically complex contract documents, drawings, specifications, scopes of work and project schedule
- Proven ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing at the executive level; Must have advanced presentation skills
- Skilled at negotiating and developing win-win relationships with consultants, vendors and subcontractors
- Strong interpersonal skills along with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to successfully manage the team to deliver on multiple, concurrent priorities
- Willing and available to travel on an as needed
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Excellent attention to detail, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced, innovative, and entrepreneurial environment.
- Able to lead, organize, and complete multiple complex technical projects
Safety comes first at AES. To protect the health and safety of our people, customers, communities and partners, and to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, AES requires all newly-hired people or current AES people applying for U.S.-based role(s), to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or be willing to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by their date of hire. Except where prohibited by law or not specifically covered in a collective bargaining agreement, new hires and transfers will be required to provide proof of vaccination during onboarding and periodically thereafter. This policy will comply with all applicable laws and is based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local health authorities, as applicable.