As a Senior Legal Counsel, you will provide strategic legal counsel to internal business partners with respect to Federal and state healthcare and consumer privacy regulations and laws. You will proactively advise business partners on a wide variety of matters and work collaboratively with other attorneys and partners on matters related to privacy legal and regulatory compliance.
You will identify business and legal risks and provide solutions which balance legal issues and business objectives. You will be expected to develop a keen understanding of the business and operational goals of assigned internal clients and work diligently to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients at all levels of the organization.
As a subject matter expert, you will help will support various parts of the CVS Health enterprise, including: CVS Pharmacy, MinuteClinic, Omnicare as well as other cross-enterprise teams and activities. Responsibilities may include advising on privacy issues related to handling customer information associated with our retail operations, appropriate use of patient information related to our provision of healthcare treatment and services, participation in interoperable EMR/HIE, online advertising activities, electronic devices, product development, contracting, and/or other retail operations activities. You will recommend practical and sound advice to internal clients on legal issues related to business objectives and take an active role in driving projects to final result.
As part of the Legal team, you will gain experience working with a dynamic in-house legal department and play a key role in supporting the business. This role may include managing other colleagues.
• Serve as lead privacy counsel for various parts of the CVS Health enterprise, likely to include one or more of the following: CVS Pharmacy, Omnicare and MinuteClinic;
• Provide primary privacy legal support for product development, contracting, or pharmacy operations support;
• Advise clients with respect to the application of federal and state privacy laws and regulations to the Company’s business activities for lines of business supported;
• Provide legal expertise on company-wide initiatives, projects and/or specialized legal matters affecting assigned areas and perform special research projects and provide SME to the privacy team you lead on these issues;
• Provide daily risk-management support for assigned businesses and leading your team to do the same;
• Work collaboratively with Government Affairs, and business operations teams to implement new laws and regulations for assigned areas;
• Support the development and revision of product portfolios, including researching state and federal law, assisting product filing and product development areas as appropriate; will review various marketing materials and member/customer/provider communications pertaining to assigned areas;
• Consult with other subject matter legal/compliance experts, including, Network Counsel, Regional Counsel, Litigation, Transformation, Government Affairs, and Compliance.
• Develop deep understanding of operational systems relevant to assigned areas;
• 8+ years of legal experience with a law firm, healthcare or retail company focused on issues related to privacy, data protected or related regulatory matters (e.g., CCPA or HIPAA)
• Admitted to practice law in at least one state and member in good standing of applicable state bar association(s)
• Bachelor’s Degree and Juris Doctorate
• Deep subject matter expertise of privacy laws such as HIPAA and CCPA
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
CVS Health requires its Colleagues in certain positions to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (including any booster shots if required), where allowable under the law, unless they are approved for a reasonable accommodation based on disability, medical condition, pregnancy, or religious belief that prevents them from being vaccinated.
• Strong knowledge of healthcare laws and regulations including one or more of the following:
o Federal and State False Claims Act
o Federal and State Anti-Kickback Statute
o State insurance and healthcare law
o Affordable Care Act, Medicare and Medicaid
• Experience supporting retail operations or businesses with online platforms providing regulated services
• Experience with aspects of healthcare related to provision of health care, or pharmacy services.
• Experience drafting and negotiating complex services agreements.
• Ability to collaborate effectively and work as a team player.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, initiative, and drive
Doctorate (Juris Doctor)
At CVS Health, we are joined in a common purpose: helping people on their path to better health. We are working to transform health care through innovations that make quality care more accessible, easier to use, less expensive and patient-focused. Working together and organizing around the individual, we are pioneering a new approach to total health that puts people at the heart.
We strive to promote and sustain a culture of diversity, inclusion and belonging every day. CVS Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate in recruiting, hiring or promotion based on race, ethnicity, sex/gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability or protected veteran status or on any other basis or characteristic prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local law. We proudly support and encourage people with military experience (active, veterans, reservists and National Guard) as well as military spouses to apply for CVS Health job opportunities