Our world class Local Government Services team supports local councils to improve outcomes and focus on what matters in their communities. We care about helping local councils to transform and make every penny matter to ensure front line services are protected as part of their citizens charter to ensure that people live and prosper.
We’re now seeking Benefits and Revenues Officers to join the team. As a Benefits and Revenues officer, you will be tasked with delivering a quality accurate Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction and Revenues processing service in a cost effective and caring manner, whilst working within constantly changing Benefits Regulations, Council Tax and Business Rate Legislation.
What you’ll be doing:
- Examine Revenues, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support accounts and claims to ensure all necessary information and evidence has been provided.
- Update computer records with claim information and gathering information from customers.
- Process and update Revenues, Housing and Council Tax Support accounts and claims in line with legislation and client requirements.
- Ensure correct documentation is completed and that all work is well presented and in line with procedures.
- Meet targets within agreed accuracy levels.
- In certain circumstances, dealing with customers in person, ensuring accurate information is given in a positive manner. Dealing with other organisations, such as Her Majesty’s Revenues and Customs and the Department for Work and Pensions by telephone.
- Be aware of the importance of accuracy, detecting fraudulent claims and identifying under or overpayments of Housing Benefit and ensuring Revenues accounts are correct.
- Carry out other administration duties as required.
What we’re looking for
- Solid background in administration/clerical work
- Good communication skills
- Good IT skills
- Ability to deal with difficult customers with sympathy and tact
- A background knowledge of Housing Benefit / Council Tax Reduction administration and legislation is desirable, but not essential.
What’s in it for you?
- A great basic salary
- 23 days’ holiday (rising to 27) with the opportunity to buy extra leave
- The opportunity to take a paid day out of the office, volunteering for our charity partners or a cause of your choice
- Company matched pension, life assurance, a cycle2work scheme, 15 weeks’ fully paid maternity, adoption and shared parental leave, paternity pay of two weeks
- Voluntary benefits designed to suit your lifestyle – from discounts on retail and socialising, to health & wellbeing, travel and technology
- Access to our Employee Network Groups, which represent every strand of diversity and allow colleagues to connect and learn from each other on an open, inclusive platform
- Opportunity to work from home
You’ll get the chance to follow your chosen career path anywhere in Capita. You’ll be joining a network of 63,000 experienced, innovative and dedicated individuals across multiple disciplines and sectors. There are countless opportunities to learn new skills and develop in your career, and we’ll provide the support you need to do just that. Our purpose is to create a better outcome for you.
What we hope you’ll do next:
Choose ‘Apply now’ to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you.
We’re an equal opportunity employer, which means we’ll consider all suitably qualified applicants regardless of gender identity or expression, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, age, sexual orientation, disability status or any other protected characteristic. We recruit and develop our people based on merit and their passion for creating better outcomes, and we’re committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Job ID: 3817