ABM (NYSE: ABM) is a leading provider of facility solutions with revenues of approximately $6.4 billion and over 130,000 employees in 300+ offices deployed throughout the United States and various international locations. ABM’s comprehensive capabilities include electrical & lighting, energy solutions, facilities engineering, HVAC & mechanical, janitorial, landscape & turf, mission critical solutions and parking, provided through stand-alone or integrated solutions. Founded in 1909, ABM provides custom facility solutions in urban, suburban and rural areas to properties of all sizes — from schools and commercial buildings to hospitals, data centers, manufacturing plants and airports.
Assistant Grounds Manager
High School or GED
Job Type/ FLSA Status
The Assistant Grounds Manager works under general supervision of the Grounds Manager.
- Assign work and supervise the grounds crew in all aspects of grounds maintenance, equipment and supplies
- Participate in developing training standards
- Train staff members
- Hold regular department meetings for the purpose of sharing and gathering information
- Ensure that daily start up and closing meetings occur for smooth daily operations
- Help plan, schedule, assign and supervise grounds crew as required
- Supervise the care and maintenance of lawns, shrubs and hedges, tree removal, planting and spraying, and weed eradication.
- Supervise grounds maintenance crew in campus clean-up projects, and assist in special events projects as required.
- Make recommendations of modifications/procedures.
- Perform periodic inspections of all assigned work areas.
- Instruct employees in the proper methods and use of equipment.
- Operate all grounds related equipment as required
- Assure proper routine maintenance is performed on all motorized equipment, daily start up and shut down procedures, use and maintenance of equipment and tools, shop cleanliness, etc.
- Report to work as required under emergency conditions, as necessary.
- High school graduation or three to five years of related experience in grounds and turf maintenance, including three years of supervisory experience.
- Completion of a certificate or degree program in landscape design, horticulture. Individuals also might benefit from other professional certifications in the area of grounds
- Current driver’s license for state of Florida. A valid commercial class B motor vehicle license would be welcome.
- Sufficient strength and physical dexterity to perform duties and responsibilities of this job, including heavy work with exposure to inclement weather conditions for prolonged periods of time.
- Must be able to wear and use appropriate personal protective equipment as necessary.
- Florida pesticide applicator’s license
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills, a cheerful and positive attitude for guest service and team member relations
- Must be available to work different shifts, 5 days a week, between the hours of 6:00 AM and 10:00 PM from Memorial Day through Labor Day with two days off.
- Knowledge and ability in maintenance, mechanics, etc. a big plus as this position requires hands on work and oversight of these types of tasks.
- Must have a desire to provide exceptional guest service, have excellent organizational skills, and be able to work well under pressure with a variety of people