Senior Counsel, Employment – Chicago, IL
ADM - Archer Daniels Midland Company
This is an exempt-level position. Reporting to the Chief Counsel, Labor & Employment, this role will provide legal counsel to members of the human resource and operations teams on a range of topics related to employment law.
- Provide pragmatic legal advice to members of the human resource team on a wide range of employee and labor relations issues, which may include but is not limited to, human resource issues, wage and hour law, labor relations, FMLA matters, employee benefits legal and compliance matters, employment related litigation, grievances and arbitrations and policy compliance.
- Assist in drafting policies, best practices, guidelines, tools and programs that align with and advance the Company’s strategy, values, and business goals.
- Support legal team with employment-law related mergers and acquisitions and contract review.
- Monitor compliance with new federal, state and local labor and employment laws.
- Provide legal training and counsel to members of the human resource team
- Oversee a litigation docket of active labor and employment matters. Handle such disputes in a proactive manner to achieve the best result for the company, including managing budgets with outside counsel and reporting on litigation risks internally.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with business and HR partners, legal department members, as well as external constituents influential in the Company’s industry.
- Demonstrated experience in handling complex employment issues and a proven track record of providing practical advice to achieve business solutions.
- Solid problem solving skills with a proactive and pragmatic approach; willingness to roll-up sleeves with strong follow-up skills and detail orientation
- Some experience in labor law preferred.
- Knowledge of Canadian labor and employment law, a plus.
- Outstanding advocacy, presentation, oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and positively influence outcomes.
- Work independently with general supervision and direction from the Chief Counsel, Employment & Labor in furtherance of the legal and human resources departments’ goals and the strategic plan.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced and dynamic environment handling multiple competing tasks simultaneously to closure. Highly motivated, proactive, self-disciplined and team-oriented; effective and clear oral and written communication skills as well as ability to work with various levels of staff.
- Positive, ‘can do’ hands on attitude with good influencing and stakeholder management skills
- Committed to ADM values: integrity, respect, excellence, resourcefulness, teamwork, and responsibility.
- Licensed attorney with at least five to seven (5-7) years’ labor and employment experience. The ideal candidate will be a team-oriented, experienced lawyer. Although law firm candidates will be considered, a mixture of law firm and in-house experience is strongly preferred.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Relocation assistance is available with this position.
This position offers a complete benefit package, including 401K/ESOP, pension, health, life, vision, and dental insurance
ADM requires the successful completion of a pre-employment drug screen and a background check.
At ADM, we unlock the power of nature to provide access to nutrition worldwide. With industry-advancing innovations, a complete portfolio of ingredients and solutions to meet any taste, and a commitment to sustainability, we give customers an edge in solving the nutritional challenges of today and tomorrow. We’re a global leader in human and animal nutrition and the world’s premier agricultural origination and processing company. Our breadth, depth, insights, facilities and logistical expertise give us unparalleled capabilities to meet needs for food, beverages, health and wellness, and more. From the seed of the idea to the outcome of the solution, we enrich the quality of life the world over. Learn more at www.adm.com.
ADM is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability and veterans status.