BBC Studios is the main TV production arm of the BBC. It is a major supplier of high quality content and the source of many of the BBC’s most creative and inspiring programmes, as well as producing exciting programmes for other broadcasters.
One of our flagship programmes, the One Show, is looking to hear from experienced researchers to create our charity appeals strand, Lifeline.
Lifeline broadcasts monthly appeals on behalf of different UK charities. See link for examples of previous appeals: https://www.bbc.co.uk/appeal/lifeline
The programme enables smaller charities to have their appeals heard on the BBC, featuring inspiring stories from their beneficiaries and profiling their work.
We are looking to get in touch with shooting researchers who have worked on the production of broadcast television content, specifically short-form, standalone VTs containing sensitive content.
This is not an entry-level role.
This role is London-based.
There will be a choice of set interview dates. Unfortunately we cannot guarantee that we can accommodate individual availability.
Researchers assist in the research, planning and shooting of presenter and celebrity-led, self-shot appeal films of around 10 minutes in length.
Main responsibilities are:
- To assist in the planning and production of content across a variety of platforms.
- Suggest, develop and research appropriate ideas and present these to the producer/line manager for feedback and review
- To create and maintain collaborative relationships with charities whose appeals feature on the programme.
- To plan multiple appeals simultaneously and juggle competing priorities
- To source contributors, experts and talent, as required and maintain consistent and professional communication with them, often in sensitive situations.
- To research accurately when producing original content in keeping with an editorial brief, and conduct rigorous fact-checking from a variety of sources
- Utilise a wide range of sources and reference material in-keeping with audience needs and expectations & adhering to known BBC policies & guidelines
- Sourcing and clearing material for broadcasting and publishing
- To work collaboratively as part of a strong and effective team, and demonstrate judgment on appropriate referral to more experienced members of the production team
- To support the Director and Production Management team in the planning of shoots and helping to manage any last minute changes
- Gathering the appropriate consents and ensuring that the production has an accurate record of all contributions.
- To work closely with the Director on location shoots to ensure the success of the shoot both editorially and technically
- To assist in ensuring that output complies with the BBC Health and Safety policy
The Ideal Candidate
In order to apply for this position, you should have:
- At least 2 recent television researcher credits.
- Strong analytical thinking and the ability to assess complex information to provide accurate and engaging summaries of research.
- Demonstrable ability to find strong storylines and contributors and to build collaborative relations with external organisations.
- Excellent interpersonal verbal and written skills and the ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with a wide variety of internal and external colleagues and contributors
- Aptitude for detail and accuracy in all areas.
- Experience of planning and organisation for television production, to tight deadlines. An eye for detail is critical.
- The ability to generate and develop achievable creative ideas for content & programming output and to pitch ideas with the necessary supporting documentation
- Resilience and stamina to sustain performance under pressure from a high volume of work and conflicting priorities
- Demonstrable time management and organisational skills
- Experience of successfully delivering to tight deadlines
- A thorough understanding of the clearance of all copyright material, including archive, music and stills
- The ability to maintain a creative, problem-solving approach in fast changing and challenging situations
- Experience of working effectively with a team
- Ability to work independently and use initiative with confidence; using judgement to escalate where necessary
- Awareness of financial responsibility and budgets
- Ability to use IT proficiently, including a range of software packages
- An awareness of BBC editorial guidelines and other compliance policies, or the desire to glean this knowledge quickly
- An awareness of BBC's diverse audiences and their needs and expectations and use this to shape creative and engaging output
Shooting researchers should demonstrate:
- Excellent self-shooting skills, to broadcast standard
- Excellent access skills
- Experience of working with sensitive contributors
Contract type: Fixed term 6 Months
Location: London New Broadcasting House
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/