Senior Network Engineer
Senior Network Engineer | Dunstable | Permanent
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Network Engineer to lead a huge network transformation! Are you looking for an opportunity to deliver a scalable software-defined network to over 1,200 locations? Would you like the chance to be involved with bleeding-edge technologies? If so, then we would love to hear from you!
Whitbread is about to embark on one of the biggest network transformations in the industry, and our new core network has a fabric running at 40Gbps, running out of multiple data centres, with near instantaneous stateful failover of services. We’re serious about the services and experiences we provide to our staff and guests, and we’re looking for people who are equally serious to join our Networks team.
With more than 1,800 WAN links, 3,000 switches, and 40,000 access points, our network is every bit as big as our brand.
About the role:
- Our network engineering team here at Whitbread are facing an exciting period of growth and there is a real opportunity to have ownership of the Whitbread network, including performance, capacity and lifecycle management.
- We\'re expanding our team to deliver SD-WAN, LAN, WAN, WiFi, Telephony, Cloud projects across:
- Premier Inn
- Restaurants (Beefeater, Bar and Block, Brewers Fayre, Table Table, Thyme.
- Head Office
- We are proud of our tech stack, you\'ll have the opportunity to work with Juniper, Cisco, Meraki, HP Aruba.
What you’ll be doing:
- Lead and develop the Engineering function of the Whitbread Networks Team, providing mentoring and development to staff, as well as managing workload within the team
- Assist in evaluating new requirements, technical design and standards
- Ensure Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity tests are planned and manage the execution of such tests within Whitbread.
- Identify and implement improvements to the estate in order to improve service to our customers, and increase operational and delivery efficiency
- Implementation of new network solutions and/or improving the efficiency of current networks
- Installation, configuration, and support of network equipment including routers, security appliances, switches, wireless access points, and similar infrastructure
- Investigating faults in the network, working collaboratively with the Network Services third-party
- Maximising network performance through ongoing monitoring and troubleshooting
- Monitoring system resource utilisation, trending, and capacity planning
- Monitoring network performance and ensure system availability and reliability
- Implement and manage status reporting, metrics and benchmarks of network status and performance to key stakeholders.
- Review and accept new releases of software from vendors, and manage the deployment of software into the managed estate
- Technical leadership in major incident scenarios is required
- Managing the software lifecycle of network infrastructure
- Work within established configuration and change management policies to ensure awareness, approval and success of changes made to the network infrastructure
- Engage with Whitbread’s Architecture function to ensure product and technical alignment to architecture strategy.
- Manage relationships with major vendors and service providers to ensure that the services they provide meet the needs of the organisation.
- Participate in regular supplier review meetings to ensure third party suppliers continually provide the best services to Whitbread
- Management of subcontractors (or third-parties) involved with network installation
- Act as mentor and coach to more junior members of the team and facilitate a close working relationship across geographically distributed teams. Provide technical training, share and embed best practice and processes, and ensure these are adhered to
- Select and implement security configuration/tools, policies, and procedures in conjunction with Information Security
What you’ll need:
- Proven hands-on network engineering experience, ideally with 5+ years in a similar Network Engineering role
- Proven technical leadership experience, ideally with 2+ years in a similar Network Leadership role
- Proven experience in managing external IT service providers.
- Experience with Aruba or Meraki cloud-managed infrastructure systems
- Experience with Aruba or Cisco infrastructure devices (switching/routing/security)
- Hands-on experience with monitoring, network diagnostic and network analytics tools
- Solid understanding of SD Networking, including SD-WAN and SD-Access
- Solid understanding of the OSI and TCP/IP model
- Strong knowledge of network security, not least covering Next Generation and Web Application firewalls
- Deep understanding of networking protocols and technologies (e.g., IPsec, HSRP, BGP, OSPF, 802.11, QoS, MPLS and VoIP)
- Solid understanding of 802.1x authentication
- The latest industry trends / standards / tools / technologies for technical solutions management in the enterprise networking arena
Whitbread is an inclusive employer. We believe that everyone is unique and there should be no barriers to entry and no limits to ambition. We welcome your application whatever your background or situation. Under-represented groups such as women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities & members of the LGBTQ+ community (those who identify as gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, trans sexual, non binary or use another term), are strongly encouraged to build a career with us. We are open to part-time and flexible working and, where possible, will try to support this.